Pengikut

banner


20 December 2010

Should children earn their pocket money?

Posted by: Brigitte Rozario Post(s) by this blogger

Should children have to earn pocket money by doing chores around the house? Some argue that making children earn their pocket money makes them more responsible. Others say certain chores should be done regardless of the pocket money given.

Let's see what a professional trainer/author and a developmental psychologist have to say about this.


Jamilah Samian

Jamilah Samian, certified professional trainer and author of Cool Mum Super Dad and Cool Boys Super Sons:

"I give my children pocket money on a daily basis because although the school provides food it's not enough for them. There is a cafe in the school where they can buy food.

For me, when it comes to giving them housework it depends on what kind of housework. Some things like washing the dishes or cleaning their own room are things they have to do and they are not going to get paid for doing that. That is expected of them.

However, if they do something extra like teaching other young children then maybe I might give them some extra reward. When my children reach secondary school, they have to do some voluntary work. So, I might pay them a very minimal amount of money based on the effort. Part of it is voluntary but maybe later I might give them a little bit just as additional pocket money.

It's just a token sum and it's only towards the end of their voluntary work. I don't want them to do it because of the money.

Apart from that I don't give them pocket money per se. I am quite strict about that. If you want something, you have to earn it.

If they want to buy a toy, they have to save up the pocket money that I give them every day.

There is a difference between their needs and wants. Their needs are something we parents provide. The wants are something they should earn themselves.

I don't give them pocket money during the school holidays. I don't see why I need to give them pocket money then when everything is provided for."


Elaine Yong

Elaine Yong, developmental psychologist and Sunway University College lecturer:

"I think to a certain degree the bare minimum is necessary. They need money for recess time at school. But if they want extra, that's when I would get them to earn it.

If they want to buy a toy or a game, then I would ask them to earn the money to buy that because then it gives them an idea of what it takes to save the money and that it's not easily earned and they learn the value of money. By making them earn it, you would also be teaching them how to save up to make that big purchase.

They can earn the money by doing chores they don't already do regularly. Things like cleaning their room are basic things that they are already responsible for so those don't count. To earn money it should be for doing additional chores which are usually not done.

You can start practising this from the time they're in primary school because they understand from then and they would have been buying things from the canteen at this age. So, they would understand the value of money. At any earlier age, such as preschoolers, they are just beginning to understand that you need to use money in order to buy things."

No comments:

Post a Comment

bee